It’s the beginning of a new month, which means it’s time for me to reflect on the goals I set for myself at the beginning of the year. I was serious when I said that I was going to make some positive changes in my life in 2015. And part of making these changes happen involves checking in with myself at regularly scheduled times. Let’s see how February panned out for me:
1. Half marathon training – I’ve done better that this over the past month. I actually registered for the run at the end of May, and I ran my longest run ever, at 15K. That is still a ways off of 21K, but it’s a good start. I was fairly sure I wouldn’t make it up to 15K that day i ran, and I was quite sore near the end, but I pushed through anyway. Other than that run, I haven’t really been running very far distances. I find that indoors it is hard for me to be motivated to run more than 5 or 6 Km at a time. I’m hoping with spring finally right around the corner, I can get outside for more longer runs.
2. 1000Km in 2015 – Despite my efforts at trying to train better for the half marathon, I still am lagging seriously behind on my Kms for the 1000m challenge. I did somewhat better in February than I did in January, logging about 43Km total. But that is still only half of what I need every month in order to obtain my goal. I am now more than a month behind on my Kms for the challenge. I figure that I will need to run about 5.5Km every day in March in order to just catch up! Yikes! What I plan to change: Run outside more! As I said above, I find it increasingly difficult to run inside. I know that shouldn’t be an excuse, but it has been a barrier for me. I might have to do a little less TKD and more running on some weeks. (I ran 10K today in an attempt to make up for yesterday and today)
3. Other means of exercise – TKD has been my primary means of exercise this past month. Being off work has made it possible for me to go to almost every class. I’ve even been going to the fitness classes on Mondays and Wednesdays before the TKD class on some nights. That has been a challenge, but I have really been enjoying my time there. A few nights ago I challenged for my half-yellow belt. It is my goal to get my green belt before the summer (3 belts away).
4. Healthier eating – This month off of work has been a disaster for me food wise. Despite having more time to prepare food and make good food choices, I have been doing the complete opposite: eating like crap. There have been many indiscretions, many treats, and sometimes more than once a day. I am starting to feel rather gross. I think, in a strange way, having a routine and a schedule makes it easier to stick to my eating plan. What I plan to change: I need to work harder at restraint and self control when it comes to the goodies and I have to make more of a conscious effort to make appropriate food choices. I have the food in my house, I just want the junk food instead.
5. “Me” time at least 1x per week – With me being off work the past 3 weeks, this has been a fiairly easy goal to achieve. I have taken time for myself to run, listen to pod casts, work on a puzzle I started, go for a massage, sleep in, take naps, take a bath… It’s been a really nice break. I know I won’t have as much time to spend on myself once I go back to work, but I will feel good about the fact that I did make a lot of time for myself on my month off.
6. Putting myself first – Again, I have been off work for the last 3 weeks and I have made sure to save this time for myself. I didn’t tell anyone in my family, aside from my sister, that I was taking this month off. I wanted to protect my time instead of having my mom and other relatives who live out of town insisting that I come to visit them or (my Mom’s favorite) give me more work to do for my sister’s upcoming bridal shower and wedding. I didn’t even work on any of the ongoing projects I have for my sister’s shower, even though that was one of the things I wanted to do more of over the past few weeks. Like I mentioned above, I have been working harder at taking time for myself, even if it means locking my kids out of my bedroom so I can take a nap or take a shower alone…
7. Quality time with the kids – I have had more than enough time to spend with my kids. I feel a little guilty saying this, but I almost felt like I had too much time with them. There were times I felt like I just needed to get away and have some “me” time. There were some days where I wished I was at work because I would feel more sane than I do at home. That being said, I think the kids loved having me home for the past few weeks and A is very sad that I will be going to back to work next week (and to a meeting out of town at the end of this week). In addition to some of the play dates we had, we have taken trips to the new trampoline park, some indoor playgrounds, we’ve read books together, gone shopping together, watched movies (and some, like Big Hero 6, a few too many times), made rice krispie squares… I sure there is more that I’m forgetting.
8. More “present’ for Husband – I actually think I did pretty well on this goal in February. We finally went on a date for Valentines day, and we had a great time (despite my mother-in-law being here). I bought him a new iPad after he complained that his was starting to go downhill and wasn’t holding a charge well anymore – and then I forced him to open it after he insisted that it was a frivolous gift. I’ve also been trying to be more “available” for him since I haven’t had any call shifts… you know how it goes…
9. Establishing a new social circle – There has been some great progress in this goal during February. I really started to get to know some of the other Moms at TKD and we’ve even had a few playdates in the past few weeks. One lady has two boys who are about 6months older than my two boys – and they get a long great. Another lady has a daughter who is in A’s TKD class and they like to play with each other – so we have been getting to know each other a little more. I even went to an Oscar Party at one of my co-resident’s house and enjoyed some sushi, wine, and ice-cream. The culmination of all my “friend making” this month was my party over the weekend, where most of my “new” friends came to. I also had a few of my resident friends from work come too. In addition to those friends, I have made a concerted effort to catch up with a friend from my old city who moved to a small town outside of where I live now – we both have kids the same age and our husbands went to school together. I also have another old friend from my English degree days who lives about a 5 minute drive from me, as we managed to get out for drinks last week. Being off work has made it easier to make time for friends!
10. Be more gracious and positive – I could have done better that this goal in February. I had a few setbacks: there was being off work in general that made me feel a little lost and unproductive, and there was my “confusion” over whether or not to contact K about her birthday. Overall, though, I did try to concentrate a little more on the positive aspects of my life and I’ve kept up on my gratitude posts (except for last week). Tomorrow I will have to write another double week post.
11. Read 12 books in 2015 (one per month) – Once again I had no problem reaching this goal. I read two books in February: Home before Dark, and The Girl on The Train. Both books were very good and I enjoyed reading them even if they weren’t the best or most profound books I’ve read. I started reading another book, but I didn’t get too far into it. I was hoping to get a few more books under my belt for the past month, but I let the reading slide a little while I’ve been home. Maybe if I wasn’t playing with my kids, or going out on playdates, or working on my puzzle, or catching up on my sleep, I would have gotten more reading done… 😉
For February, I somehow succeeded at accomplishing 7 of the 11 goals I’ve set for myself this year. What is it that they say, you have do so something regularly for 6 weeks to make it a habit? Hopefully some of these things are becoming habit. We’ll have to see how well I do with starting up at work again. The goals that I had the most difficulty with were the fitness and health goals – eating healthy (which I already kind of failed at today) and making tim to run regularly have been a challenge – as they were last month too. Interestingly, staying positive and being gracious is getting a little more difficult as time goes on. This is the one thing that I really want to change the most. Hopefully I can make some positive changes with this in the coming month.