Christmas just isn’t the same without music and so I’ve been taking advantage of my long commutes to and from work to explore the world of Christmas Music on Songza.
Here are some of my Favorites, both old and new:
1. Wintersong – Sara Bareillis and Ingrid Michaelson (above). There is something so beautiful and melancholy about this song that really seems to speak to me every year (and especially this year). It is simple, yet it reminds us that not everyone is in a good and happy place during the holiday season.
2. O Holy Night – Faith Hill. I generally like any artist’s version of this song (except Christina Aguilera) as long as they stick to the original theme. I don’t like it so much for the words (even though I was raised Christian/Catholic), but because of the beauty and intensity of the music. In my opinion, this is one of the most beautiful Christmas songs ever!
3. Baby it’s Cold Outside – Idina Menzel and Michael Buble. It’s a fun song! A little provocative, and festive at the same time. And then take two amazing voices like these and you’ve got a wonderful Christmas song!
4. Adeste Fideles – Andrea Bocelli. There will always be a soft spot in my heart for classical Latin music. Come to think of it, there will always be a soft spot in my heart for good looking, strong Italian Man who brings back memories of my grandpa when I was a kid. So, this song had me from the beginning…
5. Last Christmas – Glee Cast. Now I’ve never actually watched Glee, but they have some good music. Although this song has been recorded by many different artists, I didn’t pay much attention to it until I heard it on the Glee Christmas album last year. It’s fun!
6. Where are you Christmas? – Faith Hill. I am a sucker for the melancholy Christmas songs. I’m sorry. This song just reminds me of little Cindy-Lou Who looking for her Christmas when it’s all been taken away. There is something about the way Faith Hill sings this song that give me little shivers.
7. What Child is This? – Josh Groban. To be honest, I love Josh Groban’s whole Christmas album, but this song hasn’t come up on the list yet. Not to mention, he probably has the best version of this song. There is something eternally beautiful about the music of “Greensleeves”
8. Do You Hear What I Hear – Traditional. This is a favorite from childhood and it’s just always stuck with me. I’m not a huge fan of the modern pop remixes, so I like to stick to the more classic ones. Pretty much everyone has this on their Christmas album, though.
9. Auld Lang Syne – Mairi Campbell. How can you have the holidays without this classic New Year’s Song. Mairi Campbell sings the version that is featured in the Sex and The City movie (which made the song much more enjoyable and accessible to me). The whole theme of the song is contemplating whether or not “old times” should be forgotten or remembered and carried on. How apt that this song makes it to my list this year too.
10. Pretty much all other Christmas Music. I tried to name 10 of my most favorite songs, but to be completely honest, I love almost all Christmas music (as long as it’s played at Christmas)!
What are some of your favorite songs to listen to during the holidays?